The Rotorua Community Youth Centre Trust is extremely excited to be able to bring Mates and Dates to the Bay of Plenty area.
Mates and Dates is a healthy relationships programme for secondary school students.
Mates & Dates is about helping young people to have healthy and happy relationships.
It isn’t just about dating. It’s about all kinds of relationships, including family and friends.
We want to teach young people how to:
- identify unhealthy relationships
- have healthy relationships based on respect, negotiation and consent
- identify inappropriate behaviour
- get help if they, or someone they know, are in an unhealthy relationship
- safely intervene in situations that could lead to harm.
These are the relationship and behaviour skills they can carry with them throughout their lives
MATES & DATES PROGRAMME – FACILITATOR
A video about the program can be found here https://youtu.be/6AIlMWKhzNk
WHY CHOOSE MATES & DATES
- what makes a relationship healthy or unhealthy
- about relationships based on respect, negotiation and consent
- how to change behaviour
- how to seek help
- how to safely intervene when they need to.
‘Having Mates & Dates at your school will help students have healthier and happier relationships in and out of school’
SECONDARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
ACC fully fund Mates & Dates. It’s a multi-year programme taught in years 9-13 through five 50 minute sessions over about five weeks. It builds year on year and ties in with the learning area of health and physical education. It’s aimed at levels 4-8 of the New Zealand School Curriculum.
Schools decide if they want to register for Mates & Dates and then trained facilitators work with principals and teachers to look at the best time to deliver the programme for the school.
It was really good to learn how to be in tricky situations and what to do if you need help. Also about when you can and can’t give consent, and if you should or not
If you would like Mates & Dates delivered in your school, please contact:
Youth Development Manager
Rotorua Youth Centre
07 343 1012